It’s time for another episode Stop. Think. Science! Nation!
This week we have shark expert David Shiffman on the show!
David Shiffman is currently a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Miami’s Abess Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy studying shark biology and conservation. In his professional career David has dedicated himself to educating others about sharks, marine biology and ocean conservation through scientific outreach. He has blogged for SouthernFriedScience.com since 2009, which is one of the most widely read ocean science blogs on the internet, and has conducted numerous talks for school and community groups in Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, New York, and Pennsylvania.. In recognition for his dedication to teaching others all about the ocean, he was named the Marine Science Educator of the Year in 2014 by the Florida Marine Science Educator’s Association.
In this episode, we chat about:
- What does David do?
- Where did his love for sharks stem from?
- What differentiates a shark from a fish
- What is up with The Discovery Channel’s ‘Shark Week’?
- How does David do his research?
- Plenty of other random shark questions we had!
David recommended two books in case you are interested in learning more!
- Biology of Sharks and Their Relatives, Second Edition (CRC Marine Biology Series)
- SHARKS IN QUESTION (Smithsonian Answer Books)
And finally, you can connect with David through his social media:
If you have any questions that weren’t answered in the podcast, send them over to us and we will answer them, find the answer, or ask David!
If you liked this podcast… PLEASE share it with a friend! We would be super grateful!